Horns and scales were next up on my agenda. You can use just about any clay that hardens for the horns, but I just happen to have three boxes of Super Sculpey I bought years ago for other projects I never did. Super Sculpey will still break, but I like it because I can mold it to the paper mâché piece before I fire it and get a better fit when I am attaching the piece later. I have learned, though, that long skinny things like claws and horns might benefit from being reinforced with some wire inside.
Creating this dragon has become quite a challenge in major planning of what to do first. How far do I put the scales before the arms are attached? Do I need to paint the breast plates first and how much? Anyway, I decided that most of the body painting could be done before I added the arms, but to be honest, the whole thing just felt so back-ass-wards! I have always completed the fabric mâché part of the project first and then painted the whole thing after. The reason his tail was painted later was just so I had something to hang on to.
October 2015 was my last post! Where have I been? Certainly not doing paper mâché! Well that dry spell is over. With all my other projects completed, I was able now in January 2017 to start a new paper mâché dragon. This one has a little more of a special meaning in making it, but before I tell you about that, let’s talk about how this dragon happened!
Feathers, feathers, and more feathers!!!! I have to admit that when I thought about doing a replica of Buckbeak from Harry Potter, there were two things I hadn’t considered. One was that I was going to be making something so small and the other was that I would spend five months making fabricated feathers. Sometimes you get yourself into something and there is no backing out. Of course, I could have dumped the project, but there was so much of it that I really liked by the time it came to the feathers, even I was intrigued by the prospect of finishing it. Continue reading
Simulating bird feathers can be a daunting task. As I am working on my miniature of Harry Potter’s Buckbeak, I did not want to use real feathers. I have finished projects with real bird feathers before to only have them eaten away years later by weevils. Because of this, I wanted to see if I could come up with a method that would fit my project and still look somewhat authentic. Continue reading
Well I finally finished this dragon, except for making him a base. A lot of blood sweat, and tears went into this project (literally)! The next thing I needed to do was to give him some color so I painted all the lighter parts and added his horns. The horns were made with Super Sculpey clay and for most of everything I make with clay, it is supported underneath with wire (except for the claws which I came to regret several times while working on him). Continue reading
Creating dragons has become so much fun! You can make them look however you want because they are based in fantasy so your imagination has no limits.
I wanted to do a full post on the making of this dragon, but this could get quite lengthy, so I decided to do it in parts.
Once again I began with Dan Reeder’s book, Paper Mache Dragons for the basic body. After that, I like to play with different fabrics and techniques for a different style. Continue reading
After I saw the new Disney movie, Maleficent, I knew I had to try and make my interpretation of this dragon. With the help of Dan Reeder’s book, Paper Mache Dragons: Making Dragons & Trophies using Paper & Cloth Mache, and watching his videos on YouTube; I was able to learn enough about his techniques to craft my own dragon.
I am not going to go into all the details of making my dragon since Dan has so beautifully shown how to create dragons through his books and videos. All the beginning instructions for the paper mâché can be obtained there. The 12mm glass eyes were purchased from Nixcreations.
A couple of years ago I created this horse for an independent film being made in Arizona. The full “making of” can be found on David Stipes’ blog, Stipes’ Universe.
These are some shots courtesy of David Stipes for the visual effects on the steampunk movie, Mantecoza.