WINGS!!!!! I thought I would never get here! This dragon hasn’t taken me as long as others, but there just seemed to be so many little things that needed to get taken care of before I ever got to the wings. I started them like all the other ones that I have done, but decided to see if I could build them up with the smooth clay. So here is how they began… Continue reading
An idea popped into my head a few months ago about doing a dragon holding some butterflies. Right after I started this project, I started seeing signs of butterflies everywhere. Spiritually, personally and as a society, we are going through many transformations right now. This is the message of butterflies, so it was interesting that the universe wanted me to add these little creatures to one of my dragons.
It took some thinking for how I was going to accomplish this so I started researching images of various butterflies on the internet. These were the three I came up with:
I was really having a difficult time trying to decide what color to paint this dragon. I liked this green color a lot, but I knew it needed to be toned down. His eyes were red and green so I wanted to stay somewhere in that color scheme without him looking too ‘Christmassy’. Continue reading
Horns and scales were next up on my agenda. You can use just about any clay that hardens for the horns, but I just happen to have three boxes of Super Sculpey I bought years ago for other projects I never did. Super Sculpey will still break, but I like it because I can mold it to the paper mâché piece before I fire it and get a better fit when I am attaching the piece later. I have learned, though, that long skinny things like claws and horns might benefit from being reinforced with some wire inside.
Creating this dragon has become quite a challenge in major planning of what to do first. How far do I put the scales before the arms are attached? Do I need to paint the breast plates first and how much? Anyway, I decided that most of the body painting could be done before I added the arms, but to be honest, the whole thing just felt so back-ass-wards! I have always completed the fabric mâché part of the project first and then painted the whole thing after. The reason his tail was painted later was just so I had something to hang on to.
October 2015 was my last post! Where have I been? Certainly not doing paper mâché! Well that dry spell is over. With all my other projects completed, I was able now in January 2017 to start a new paper mâché dragon. This one has a little more of a special meaning in making it, but before I tell you about that, let’s talk about how this dragon happened!
Simulating bird feathers can be a daunting task. As I am working on my miniature of Harry Potter’s Buckbeak, I did not want to use real feathers. I have finished projects with real bird feathers before to only have them eaten away years later by weevils. Because of this, I wanted to see if I could come up with a method that would fit my project and still look somewhat authentic. Continue reading